Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

The past several weeks have been simply crazy. My sweet mother in law lost her battle with cancer on October 18th. She has been battling cancer off and on for the last year and a half. We were told that she had two weeks to live on the October 17th and they recommended hubby go home to see her. We booked him a flight that night to leave the next morning, but before he could board the plane the next morning she passed away.

Having to buy a plane ticket at the last minute is not cheap. So we could only afford for him to fly up there. Then through a turn of events it became possible that I could be there as well for the funeral. God truly knows the desires of our heart. I wanted so badly to be there for my husband at such a difficult time and was very frustrated that finances would not allow us to both be able to go. God and I had a little heart to heart on my way home from taking him to the airport that Saturday morning. I am so glad we have a God who loves us, and allows us to pitch a hissy fit. Which is basically what I did in my truck on the way home.

Looking back I think that God was probably just sitting back looking at the big picture knowing what was going to happen the next day; and just allowing me to pitch my fit. He was probably smiling down, saying "oh you of little faith."

The next day was a Sunday; my mom, the kids and I went on to church. Can I just say... I love my church family. As the news traveled around, people began asking how they could help. I just asked them to pray for my husband and his brother and sister. My husband had not seen his mom since last Thanksgiving. Between rounds of chemo she came down and spent a week with us. And I know my hubby was dealing with some guilt of not making it back it time to see her before she passed.

We had made plans and were to be there just two weeks later for his brother's wedding. We were going to go the week before the wedding and spend some time with Momma G. and have a little family vacation. But God had a different plan and took her home before we went up.

Anyway, I was talking with one of our deacons and expressing to him how I wished I could be with my husband at this difficult time. He mentioned he may have some air miles he could give to me. He was afraid he didn't have enough though. He said he would mention it to our youth group and see if any of their parents might have some they could donate.

So as I am walking out to the truck after church; our Sunday School teacher Mr. C ,stops me in the parking lot. He says to me...I hear you need some air miles. Of course I start boohooing. (His granddaughter is in the youth group and told him what was happening) I tell him that it would be such a huge blessing if I could go and be with my hubby during this difficult time. He says no problem...we will get you fixed up. He said, now I only have enough for one flight. I said no problem, the kids can stay here with my mom. He said I will call you when I get home and can look up the available flights. He said, now there might be a small fee because we are requesting to use the air miles at the last minute. This was Sunday and I was needing to fly out Wednesday morning to make it to the first viewing Wednesday night. I said no problem, anything has to be better than what they are trying to charge me. Hang on....blessings are still to come.

So then, I am on my way home and my aunt calls me and says why don't you come over for lunch. I said ok...so we head to her house for lunch. I get there and she meets me on the front porch. She said you just got a blessing. I was like I know, can you believe he is going to donate air miles to me (I thought she was talking about the air miles). She said no...MR. W, (another deacon from church) just stopped by and dropped this off for you, and she hands me a check. She said, he just wanted to help anyway he could and wasn't sure how. I opened the check and it was for $100. I was floored, and the tears flowed again

So fast forward to later that afternoon, I get the call from Mr. C about the air miles. First let me say...I hate to fly and even worse...flying alone. I also hate when I have to have a layover. I am a nervous wreck and have to be medicated when flying. The only airlines that flies directly to Maryland is AA. Guess who was the most expensive when I was trying to book a flight to go. Yeah...AA. Well, guess who Mr. C's air miles are with....AA. Praise God Hallelujah! Not only was I being donated the air miles, but it was with the airline that has a direct flight! So we go through the whole booking process and he says...ok the fee (remember the fee for using the air miles at the last minute) is.....$105.00. WHAT?? (Insert Hallelujah chorus) At this point I am sobbing again. God has completely taken care of the whole thing. I am given air miles and a $100 check which covers the associated cost, and neither gentlemen knew what the other one was doing.

Yes, I apologized to God for throwing a hissy fit...

I was able to be there for both days of viewings and the funeral, and then had a day to just spend with his family. Momma G. looked absolutely beautiful. They dressed her in the outfit she was supposed to wear to Bro-in law's wedding. We chose not to call it a funeral but to call it a home goin'. She's sittin' at the feet of Jesus, gettin all the answers. I'm a little jealous.


In loving Memory of Momma G.
May 7, 1944 - October 18, 2008



More stories to come....driving from Texas to Maryland with two small chirldren, our week in Pennsylvania/Maryland...and of course Uncle J's wedding.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to show me some love!