Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pierced

On Saturday my sweet girl announced she was ready to get her ears pierced.

We have tried this once before and well...we left with one hole in one ear.

I know, I know, I should have had them do them both at the same time. I would have, had there been two employees in the store that day to do so.

Allow me to digress for a moment and tell a really cool story about the first piercing.

It was a Saturday back in October. Not just any Saturday, it was actually the Saturday my mother-in-law passed away. I had put my husband on a plane that morning to go be with his family. ( I flew in later to be with him for viewings and funeral, you can read about that cool story here) The kids were needing some things for an upcoming trip, so we headed to the mall.

We had talked about getting her ears pierced before,when one of her cousins went and got theirs done. We always told her whenever she thought she was ready and would like to do it, she could. In the south, it's a big deal to get an infants ears pierced. The hubby and I said from the beginning, that we would let her decide when and if she ever wanted to. I personally would not want someone putting holes in my body without my permission. Plus, I work for doctors, who told me about cases of infections from ear piercings in infants that got so bad, they became internal and caused an infection in the brain. So, basically that cleared up any questions for me about it.

So we are at the mall, and I mention to her that the store where you get your ears pierced is in the mall. She got all excited and said she wanted to do it. I said, well let's call daddy and run it by him and let him know. So I called my husband who is with his family, his mom had passed away early that morning. I tell him what's going on and that Sissy would like to get her ears pierced and we just wanted to make sure that it was alright we did it without him. He was very quiet...I was like oh no...he's changed his mind about it. Then I realize he is crying. I said...what's wrong (other than the obvious). He said, Lisa (his sister) had just (right before I called) showed him a pair of earrings that his mom had left for Sissy. NOW, I am boohooing. It was a small pair of gold hearts that she wore all the time. It's actually the only pair I ever remember seeing her wear. So this made it so much more special. So we headed over to the store and prepare to get her ears pierced. The girl does one...and Sissy screams...and starts holding her other ear, saying NO, NO, NO. I talked and talked and talked...but she wouldn't have it. So we left with one hole in one ear.

Back to this past Saturday. We were all getting ready to head out for the day to run some errands. The earrings granny left for Sissy have been in a jewelry box in my jewelry armoire. She occasionally goes in there and looks at them. On Saturday I was in my closet getting dressed and she came in there. She picked up the box and looked at them. Then she turned to me and said, Mom I want to get my ears pierced today. Can I? I said, well we are going to the mall, so we'll see about it. (I didn't want to give her a definite yes, in case, only one employee was there again)

This time it was a success! She was so brave. She said it didn't hurt at all. She's a little bummed she can't change earrings for 4 weeks. But she is very excited. She has said over and over, I love my new ears. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to show me some love!